Let's Talk Levers: Activation
The Ethos Lever Model: Activation, Explained
The Ethos Lever Model utilizes fourteen different “Levers” by which an organization can make an impact. Each Lever serves a real opportunity to create value - but when strategically pulled together, result in a powerful and cohesive Social Impact strategy.
In this blog series, the Ethos team breaks down each Lever - complete with expanded definitions and real-life examples - so you can best understand how to pull the right Levers through your organization's social impact work. See all 14 Levers here.
Ethos Tracking was built to support anyone looking to track the total of their social impact work – so beyond businesses and individuals, that also includes nonprofits. Activation refers to nonprofits’ programmatic and educational work related to their core mission – the reason they exist as an organization.
Maximize Activation Initiatives:
- Prioritize metrics! Look to collect data wherever it makes sense.
- Ensure your organization’s mission is clear – to both internal and external audiences
- Consider ways to honor your mission through every decision and action your organization takes
Examples: Measuring Activation
1. Small organization: A local food bank seeks to show funders good stewardship of donations and online enthusiasm for its work.
2. Medium organization: A childhood music education nonprofit needs to track volunteer hours, trace monies raised to specific campaigns, and evaluate mission-aligned vendors.
3. Large organization: An NGO dedicated to eliminating child poverty is interested in converting its endowment to an impact investing portfolio and measure efforts to activate celebrity gala attendees.
4. Multichapter organization: An organization with 35 local chapters across the country needs to evaluate each site’s direct programming efficacy and national interest in online awareness campaigns.
5.Foundation: A Foundation built out an impact investment portfolio that supports strategic philanthropic and community partners, but it needs better analytics on impact across multiple issue areas.